Friday, September 7, 2012

Names

I've been learning a lot about how important my name is to me.  I won't go into details, but I'm someone with a preferred name that different from my legal name, and I've been having a hard time sorting things out with the university on this issue. I was talking to a staff person at my seminary about my problems and he said, "I wonder if Paul had problems when he changed his name from Saul".  It made me think of all the name changes in the Bible. There are at least half a dozen in the scriptures.  My favorite name change story is the story of Jacob becoming Israel.  He wrestled with an angel and got a new name for his efforts.  It makes me think about all the times I've struggled trying to figure myself and my life out, and I have a new name to show for my efforts.  It's not a legal name yet, but it is my name, and I cherish it.  I feel like it is a gift, and I will fight to keep it.  I am Zebulun, and no one can tell me otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment